Last week, we were asked by Inquirer Super about our Instagram Pet Peeves. Sometimes, I actually like to call them Instagram sins 🙂
1. Flooding – 5 posts about the same thing in one go? Seriously? This isn’t a Facebook album you know 😉
2. The Selfie – Well, the selfie is a larger issue altogether—it actually deserves its own post!
3. Excessive Hashtagging – I can’t really point fingers at people who use hashtags. If you check my Instagram account now, you’ll see hashtags too! Haha. I am aware of purists who don’t use any hashtags—they’re like the vegans of Instagram. Then, at the other extreme end, #CanITellYou that I try not to use them #in #every #word #of #the #sentence #like #it #will #really #change the fate of the photo? 😛
4. Spamming – Mostly done by online shops. Everytime there’s a popular post, after a stream of “Wow!” “Beautiful!”, you’ll find a random “CUTE IPHONE CASES HERE!”. Hahahaha. Sometimes, you’ll also see endless #r4r & #l4l which means recents for recents & like for like.
5. Youtube-ing – Well, it’s not on the original list but this is committed by those who choose to treat Instagram like YouTube where they all fight about their opinions. After a looooong day at work, it’s actually amusing to see how passionate these people about it–instant source of entertainment. It’s almost like they get a kick out of it.
And oh, more evil forms are produced when you combine two sins! For example:
Flooding + Selfie = Self-absorbed stream (Unfollowing optional, reasonable & justifiable)
I could actually go on all day about this topic! You’ll have to see me in person if you want to discuss this topic further. 🙂
P.S. More about Instagram:
Taking a Selfie
The Instagrammer Goes on a Date!
Let’s Play the Instagram Bingo
Entertainment on Youtube
Food Pictures: Taste Versus Presentation
Instagram Hashtags : Number of Hashtags vs. Attention Needed Chart
Thanks again Tatin Yang & Inquirer Super for the feature! 🙂 This is our first time to appear on a local newspaper so we’re really excited, grateful & shocked to have received an e-mail about the interview. If you missed last Saturday’s paper, you can still read a snippet here.
P.S. If you’d like to be featured on Inquirer, follow & tag your best photos with @inquirersuper. Who knows, you might just make it to their next Instagram gallery feature! 🙂